Applicants will need to meet the New Zealand eTA Visa Waiver requirements to be able to apply. It will be necessary to have a valid passport from one of the 60 eligible countries and pay a fee using a credit or debit card.
There may be additional eTA requirements announced closer to the July 2019 launch date for the eTA for New Zealand. Updates will be published on this website.
New Zealand eTA eligible countries
At the moment citizens of 60 nationalities can travel to New Zealand without obtaining a visa. Once the New Zealand eTA is introduced in July 2019, citizens of the same 60 countries will be able to apply for this electronic travel authorization online, before it becomes obligatory in October 2019.
In addition, all airline crew and cruise line crew will need to hold a Crew eTA before travelling to New Zealand.
Citizens of the following 60 countries will be required to apply for an eTA from October 2019:
– All European Union citizens:
– Other Countries:
Country Special Conditions:
- Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania will be able for citizens only
- Hong Kong; Residents with HKSAR or British National-Overseas Passports only
- Macau; Macau Special Administrative Region passports only
- Portugal; With the right to live permanently in Portugal
- Taiwan; Permanent residents only.
- The United Kingdom; Must have the right to reside permanently in the UK.
- The United States; Includes USA nationals.
An exception will be citizens of Australia, who will continue to be able to travel to New Zealand visa-free. Australia permanent residents will be required to apply for an eTA to travel to New Zealand, but will be exempt from paying the tourist levy.
The following will also be exempt from applying for an eTA for travel to New Zealand:
- Crew and passengers of a non-cruise vessel
- Crew on a foreign ship carrying cargo
- Guests of the New Zealand Government
- Foreign citizens travelling under The Antarctic Treaty
- Members of a visiting force and associated crew members.
Passport and eTA requirements for New Zealand
To enter New Zealand it is necessary to have a passport which is valid for at least three months beyond the intended date of departure. Applicants will need to have a valid passport from one of the 60 eligible countries to apply for eTA New Zealand.